A Collaborative Innovation Environment
OMIC R&D brings together manufacturing companies and higher education in an innovation environment where “outside-in” applied research with faculty and university students solves real problems for advanced manufacturers. Our direct-to-production applied research addresses relevant problems with immediate manufacturing responses. This type of rapid response in an innovation environment that is right “on the floor” adds value and addresses problem sets in a timely manner.
"Boeing needs to be on the cutting edge of technology, and OMIC R&D will provide the world-class equipment and facilities that are critical for our success. The industry/university research partnerships supported by OMIC R&D are critical to our technology development."
As a manufacturing R&D center, OMIC is identifying and developing unique technologies and expertise that can be transferred to regional, national, and international enterprises. OMIC R&D is based on the understanding that investing in research and innovation alone is not sufficient to create a dynamic innovation-based economy; the research must be focused on helping indigenous industry increase competitiveness and be embedded in the local economy.
The OMIC R&D membership model provides a pathway for industry to engage across their organizations on critical technology needs by sharing and leveraging research and development costs in a collaborative environment. The enterprise delivers an affordable means for manufacturers of all sizes to develop and access innovative new tools, techniques, and unique proprietary technologies, providing a strategic and competitive advantage that would not otherwise be available to them.
Research and Proposals
OMIC R&D industry and research members are invited to submit ideas for applied research projects in advanced metals manufacturing and materials science that are considered to be of value to industry. To submit an idea, members should complete the Conceptual Abstract Template and submit as described in the Tech Board Project Selection Process.
Requests for Proposal
Current open opportunities — Please check back for new RFPs in January 2020
OMIC R&D Year 3 RFP Template
- Connection Testing - closed 6.03.2019
- Effective Training of Manufacturing and Assembly via Enhanced Cyber Training Systems - closed 6.03.2019
- Evaluation of Optimized Radial Engagement with High Efficiency Roughing Toolpath Algorithms for Hard Metals Machining - closed 6.03.2019
- Evaluation of Alternate High Efficiency Machining Toolpaths - closed 6.03.2019
- Gear Performance Validation Facility Phase 1 - closed 6.03.2019
- New Paradigm for the Synthesis of Manufacturing Tolerances - closed 6.03.2019
- On Machine CNC Deburring - closed 6.03.2019
- Software Tool for Accurate Cycle Time Prediction and Simulation of Part Programs - closed 6.03.2019
- Thin Wall Horizontal Tube Machining - closed 6.03.2019
- Titanium Cryogenic Machining with 5ME Technology - closed 6.03.2019
- Ball Screw Rapid Forming - closed 10.08.2018
- Hard Material Drilling and Reaming per BAC5008 12.8 - closed 10.08.2018
- Multi-purpose work-force development platform for surface treatment - closed 10.08.2018